Monday, November 17, 2008

First letters from the field

Mom, Thanks for the letter! It is good to hear Josh is doing well. I have to tell you your letter was awesome this week. I got your letter the 3rd day in the field and that was my first full day. Now being my first full day you can imagine everything going through my mind! Ok, never mind... I don't think you can imagine... it was a lot. But lets just say your letter could not have been better timing. The first day was sooooooooo hard! Hot, different language, living conditions, hot, hot, walingk, hot and more hot, and lots more walking. But I'm not complaining. Ive really learned to enjoy myself in these conditions. I've found no matter how bad a day can go, I can always find positives. For example... yesterday (Oct 28th) Everything went.... well shall I say not so good? First we walked 1 1/2 mile to a bank to get money, but the machine was broken, so we walked another mile to another one. Then we took the bus to teach a 16 year old boy and he didn't accept the lesson as we had hoped. So the day went on. That night for dinner we started to walk to the members house and it started to rain and we don't have umbrellas and we don't have time to get them either. So we walk 3 to 4 more miles in the rain and we can't find the house. We use a pay phone to call the Elders.. come to find out we walked the wrong direction. We bought drinks for dinner but by now the bags had dissappeared. We turned to walk back 3 miles to the house. After dinner we had to hurry cause we had gotten to dinner late so we had little time to get back to our house by 9:30. We decided to take a bus cause it was 8:50 and we had like 5 miles to go. So we got on the bus for like 5 minutes and realize we were on the wrong bus.. OOpsie! So we get off and SPEED WALK in 100 * weather back to our house. We got back at 9:35 so not to late! But looking at this day you can't help but wonder... what went well, what was good? Honestly, not alot went good, but I've learned somwhat how to find good in all things. For example, it was fun to walk in the rain soaked wet! We got to know our area better. Dinner was GReat! Ya just some of the little things but the little things help keep me going! It was fun to walk in the rain while we laughed at our stupid mistakes of directions. I've enjoyed everyday, so far after that 1st one. It was tough! I said a prayer and after that it just got easier. So just so you know, I still LOVE it here. I LOVE life. All is well! I love you and hope all is well. Love Elder Stanger

1 comment:

R&R said...

He is a good person if he can find positives in a day like that. Our home teachers came over tonight and taught us on how we need to laugh at the hard times because life will become easier! It looks like Hyrum is getting that down!